Metal roofing has a lot of advantages, which is why property and homeowners in the Grand Rapids area are considering installing metal roofs over asphalt shingles. Despite this, however, metal roofing has a few drawbacks – most prominently the cost. So how can homeowners get the roof they want at a desirable price?
To understand the appeal and popularity of metal roof accents, let’s briefly discuss metal roofing and its pros and cons first.
The Benefits of Metal Roofs and Accents
No matter the roofing style you want, metal roofs remain an attractive option because of:
- Longevity: They can last anything between 40 and 70 years – depending on the material used. On the other hand, traditional asphalt roofing has an estimated life expectancy of 12 to 20 years.
- Durability: Metal roofs will not corrode or crack, can be impact-resistant, and some can sustain up to 140 miles per hour wind gusts. Additionally, these roofs do not need the periodic and costly maintenance required by other roofing materials. (Though you should still have your roof professionally inspected regularly.)
- Energy Efficient: These roofs reflect solar radiant heat which reduces your cooling expenses by 10 to 25 percent.
- Safety: Your metal roof will not ignite into flames during lightning strikes or wildfires.
- Environmentally Friendly: Metal roofs contain between 25 and 95 percent recycled content and can be recycled after their lifespan.
Why Metal Roof Accents?
To homeowners, the above benefits are bonuses to the aesthetic appeal of metal roofs, which look like an enticing option until they consider the price of installation. Most homeowners are surprised by the price tag of metal roofs, which is often 2-to-3 times the price of an asphalt roof.
Ergo, unless you plan on staying in your home for the extremely long lifespan of your new roof, you are probably not going to see the cost-benefit of this initial investment. But if budget is a non-issue, then sure, metal roofing is right for you.
However, if the price quoted by your contractor is higher than your budget, then rather than talking yourself out of installing this roof, consider metal roof accents.
- Compromise to Save Cost – Metal roof accents are an excellent compromise for homeowners who want to add a bit of the look of a metal roof while avoiding the high cost of a full installation. Accents allow you to give your home a splash of copper (or steel, zinc, tin, aluminum – your choice) without destroying your budget. Your roofer can use traditional asphalt shingles (or your desired material of choice) to cover your roof and still adorn an overhang, façade, dormer, or other areas you want to accentuate.
- Aesthetic Appeal – Metal roofing accents help create a striking look for your home. They complement your roof to enhance your home’s curb appeal considerably.
- Accentuate Different Parts of Your Home – Homeowners are using metal roof accents in different parts of their homes including the façade, dormers, valleys, overhang, porches, dome, and stone mailboxes.
Metal Roof Accent Materials
The term metal roofing describes an entire range of products. These include:
- Copper – It’s costly, extremely long-lasting, and soft with a low melting temperature.
- Aluminum – It’s long-lasting and resistant to saltwater corrosion.
- Zinc – It’s incredibly long-lasting, has the lowest melting point, and is resistant to corrosion.
- Steel – It has three variations: galvalume, galvanized, and weathering steel (corten).
The type of material to use depends on several factors, such as cost, durability, location, and personal preference. For example, you do not need aluminum accents in Grand Rapids because it is less durable and is best used for resisting rust in salty regions.
What’s more, metal roofing accents can be used with different roofing materials – metal and non-metal. However, you are advised to consult the manufacturer when accentuating your metal roof using metal as the two could potentially react or degrade one another.
Metal Roofing Accent Colors and Finishes
Having control over the overall look and color of your home is perhaps the most appealing parts of accentuating it with metal roofing. Thanks to the overwhelming demand for both earth tones and bright colors on roofing systems, paint companies continue to create tested paint systems to add style to your home’s exterior while reducing fading, chipping, chalking, and other color degradation.
Premium Metal Roof Accents
Moore and Sons Roofing provides quality roofing design, installation, and repair for homes in the Grand Rapids and its surrounding areas. As a full-service roofing company, we are your go-to option for premium metal roof accents for both residential and commercial projects. We are a certified installer with major roofing manufacturers and a proud Owens Corning Platinum Contractor. Contact us today to learn how Moore and Sons Roofing can help with your project.